Young people who are faced with an emotional and/or physical health challenge are often unable to attend school regularly nor sustain a full schedule on a comprehensive campus. Home hospital instruction, modified courses, and/or independent study mediums can all take a student off of the college track, and unfortunately, this often compounds an already difficult situation with added anxiety, shame, or overwhelm. At Lydian, students do not have to choose between health and learning. We help students stay on a college preparatory track while also providing flexibility in scheduling so students can prioritize their health.
If you fall into this category, Lydian Academy is proud to partner with you on your path to recovery so that you no longer need to choose between your health and a rigorous college preparatory education. At Lydian, students can do both, and with the advent of our online learning platform in 2020, we are more equipped than ever to ensure you succeed, regardless of your current ability to physically attend school.
Health Management & Learning IS Possible at Lydian!
- Not all classes need to start on Day 1.
- If needed, we can create a daily schedule for you that starts with only 1-2 hours of instruction, and gradually ramps up as your health and recovery warrants. This is a popular option for students recovering from concussions, coping with POTS/PANDAs, or attending an Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) in the mornings or afternoons.
- Your recovery will consist of ebbs and flows in attention, mood, anxiety, and general ability to engage in your classes, and we fully expect that you will need to miss from time to time.
- Unlike traditional group settings where missed school leads to piles of makeup assignments, tests, and quizzes on top of current course requirements, at Lydian Academy we will pick up where we left off with you on the day you return. YOU are the only student in the class, so if you are sick and cannot attend, the class will wait for your return. All you need to do is take care of yourself - not stress about what you are missing.
- ALL courses at Lydian Academy (including Advanced Placement courses) can now be taken online, in-person, or in a hybrid fashion as needed. If you cannot make it to campus for your class, but are able to sign on from the comfort of your home, we will bring the class to you and keep you moving in your course regardless.
- Lydian Academy opens at 8am and closes at 6:30pm PST, so if you have standing medical appointments, counseling sessions, rehab/physical therapy needs, we will build a schedule for you with all the classes you need that works around these constraints so you can continue to prioritize your health AND learning.
- Our Student Services team will work in a wrap-around fashion with your medical team, parents, and teachers to ensure that you have all of the necessary accommodations in class, provide you with a schedule that ramps up or down accordingly, and respond to your needs accordingly.
At Lydian, we recognize that every situation is nuanced and deserves a unique approach.